Bull’s Head

Wellington Street, Sandhill/South Launceston
SW cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
Charles Street
NW cnr Charles and York Streets. Google Maps.

1834-36 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Wellington Street/Main Road
1836-43 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets
1843-50 William Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets (burnt down)
1850 William Duncan sen., Bull’s Head, Charles Street
1851-57 William Duncan, Senr., Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1857-58 Alexander Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1858-66 John Burns Thompson, Bulls’ Head, Charles & York Streets
1866-71 William Tuner, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Henry Millbank, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets


Cornwall Chronicle, 19 September 1836


Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1836
Continue reading

Cornwall Coffee Rooms

Bathurst & York St
Charles Street?
Paterson St.  Approximate location on Google Maps.

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The Coffee Rooms adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).

1843 George Bygrave, York & Bathurst Streets*
1845 George Layton, Paterson St*
1845-51 licensed as the White Horse
1852-54 John Thompson, Paterson St

*I don’t know if these are the same establishment. Continue reading

Lamb and Flag — Bird in Hand (3) — Verandah Wine Vaults

SE cnr York and Bathurst Streets. Google maps.

1833 Thomas Butcher, Lamb & Flag, Launceston
1834 Thomas Butcher, Lamb & Flag, Launceston
1835 Hector McDonald, Lamb and Flag, Launceston
1836 John Waddle, Lamb and Flag, Bathurst St
1836 John Jordan, Lamb and Flag, Bathurst St
1837 Lamb and Flag, Bathurst & York Streets
1842 Edward Brown, Bird-in-Hand, Bathurst and York Streets
1843 Cornwall Coffee Rooms
1844 Thomas Dudley, Verandah Wine Vaults, Bathurst and York St*
1846 Edward Broderick, Freemason’s Tavern?**
1847-56 William Smart, Lamb and Flag York and Bathurst Streets
1856 Christina Smart/Marsden, Lamb and Flag York and Bathurst Streets
1856 Abel Blades, Lamb and Flag, York and Bathurst Streets
1860 Abel Blades, Lamb and Flag, Wellington and York streets.
1862-63 John Nunn, Lamb and Flag, Wellington and York streets.
1869-72 (at least) lodging house

*In December 1845, Dudley is advertising his Verandah Wine Vaults as being the former Hibernia Hotel, also in Bathurst St. However the annual licensing list for September 1845 has him at “Bathurst and York” so I am going to assume he changed locations in late 1845, until shown otherwise

**Edward Broderick is listed in the annual licensing acts with either Lamb and Flag or Freemason’s Tavern. He was refused a license because he was believed to have left the colony and “there were two applications, one by Broderick and another by a new applicant”, so the licence was refused. Prior to this, the Freemason Tavern is listed as being in Brisbane St, in a building that is vacant and for sale in 1846. At the same licensing meeting, an application by Edward Lawrence was refused for a license for the “Patriotic Six” on the corner of Bathurst and York St, for an old licensed house, formerly known as the “Freemason’s Tavern. Possibly then Broderick briefly transferred to the site of the Lamb and Flag, before skipping the colony.

launceston-advertiser-19-may-1836
Launceston Advertiser, 19 May 1836 Continue reading

Cross Keys Inn – Railway Tavern

Cnr of George and Cimitiere Streets, possibly north-east corner. Google Maps.
Southern side of York St, between Bathurst & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location

182930 James Anderson, Cross Keys, George Street
1831- Abraham Lenoy, Cross Keys, George Street
1832-36 Mary Lenoy, Cross Keys, George Street
1837-48 William Brean, Cross Keys, York St
1849 Robert Blake, Cross Keys, York Street
1850-51 Henry Mills, Cross Keys, York Street
1852 Abel Blades, Cross Keys, York Street
1853 James Lewis, Cross Keys, York Street
1856 John West, Cross Keys, York Street
1858 John Partridge, Cross Keys, York Street
1859-62 William Jones, Cross Keys, York Street
1862 Job Haycock, Cross Keys, York Street
1863-67 Edward Spencer, Railway Tavern, York Street
1868-70 William Darcy, Railway Tavern , York Street
1870 George Butterworth, Railway Tavern, York Street
1871 Licence Refused

Dscn3150
Intersection of Cimitiere and George Sts. (Left side is the north-east corner.)
Continue reading

Caledonia Hotel/Caledonian Inn/Caledonian Wine Vaults (1)

cnr Charles and York Streets

182627 Robert Towers, Caledonia Hotel, Charles Street
1828-35 Mungo Sommerville, Caledonian, Charles Street
1836-37 George Sinclair Brodie, Caledonia Wine Vaults
1838 George Milne, Caledonian Tavern
1840 James McLeish, Caledonian Wine Vaults, Charles Street
Later

Colonial Times, 1 September 1826
Colonial Times, 1 September 1826

Hobart Town Courier, 19 April 1828
Hobart Town Courier, 19 April 1828
Continue reading

Three Grand Masters–Shakespeare Hotel

1860-1879: southern corner St John St & the Quadrant Google Maps
1880+: SE corner St John & York Streets. Google Maps.
Later Metropolitan Hotel.

Mw1_0555
Location, cnr Quadrant and St John Street.

Mw1_0703
Cnr St John and York Streets.

Mw1_0701
Cnr St John and York Streets.

Photo, 1940s, as the Metropolitan.

1860-1862 Benjamin Hyrons, Three Grand Masters, Quadrant. G
1863 Thomas Bruff, Shakespeare Hotel, Quadrant name changed
1864-55 Benjamin Hyrons, Shakespeare Hotel, Quadrant
1866 Matthew Wilkes, Shakespeare
1866-67 Mr J. Solomon, Shakespeare Hotel, St John-street
1868-73 Joseph Dyson, sen Shakespeare Hotel, Quadrant
1874-78 Joseph Dyson, Shakespeare Hotel, St. John street and Quadrant
1880-88 Joseph Dyson, sen., Shakespeare Hotel, St. John and York streets location changed
1889-92 William Job Spearman, , York and St. John streets, Shakespeare Hotel
1893-1902 Hugh George Webb, Shakespeare Hotel, York and St John street
1903 Hugh Huston, Shakespeare Hotel, St John-street
1904 Edwin Waller, Metropolitan Hotel name changed
Continue reading

Caledonian Inn/Wine Vaults (2)

Corner of Charles and York Street
1841-1851

1841 James Ferguson, newly constructed building
1842-43 James Ferguson, Caledonian Wine Vaults, Charles & York Sts
1843-45 James Johnstone, Caledonian Wine Vaults Charles and York Sts
1845-50 Matthew Monaghan, Caledonian Wine Vaults Charles and York Sts
1851 transferred license to George Smith, corner of George & York Sts

Prior to 1841, there was an existing establishment known as the Caledonian Wine Vaults on the corner of Charles and York Streets. There’s not information to indicate if Ferguson constructed a new building that replaced the older one, or having obtained a licence for a new building, transferred to the existing premises.

Mw1_0561
The corner of Charles & York Streets adjoining the Plough Inn would be this corner.
Continue reading

Horse & Jockey (2)

York Street, southern side between Charles and St John St. Google Maps.

1845-48 Robert Radford, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1848-50 Henry Godfrey, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1851-52 Joseph Dyson, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1853 Joshua Carr, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1854-56 John How(e), Horse and Jockey, York Street
1856-59 Joshua Carr, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1859-62 Jane Carr, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1863 Elizabeth Sarah Reid, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1864-65 Thomas Barrett, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1866 William Dean, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1866 Martin Blake, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1867-74 Thomas Bruff, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1874-78 Mary Jane Bruff, Horse and Jockey, York Street
1879 refused

Continue reading