Woolpack Inn

Cnr Brisbane & Bathurst Sts
Wellington Street

1844 Robert Pearson, Woolpack Inn, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1845 Robert Pearson, Woolpack, Brisbane & Bathurst Streets
1846 Robert Pearson, Woolpack, Wellington Road/Sandhill


Launceston Advertiser, 16 November 1844

Robert Pearson, Wool Pack Inn, Sand-Hill.- Mr. Bartley objected on account of the house being dirty and ill-furnished; also applicant living in estate of adultery.-Unanimously refused.Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1846

Bull’s Head

Wellington Street, Sandhill/South Launceston
SW cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
Charles Street
NW cnr Charles and York Streets. Google Maps.

1834-36 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Wellington Street/Main Road
1836-43 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets
1843-50 William Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets (burnt down)
1850 William Duncan sen., Bull’s Head, Charles Street
1851-57 William Duncan, Senr., Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1857-58 Alexander Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1858-66 John Burns Thompson, Bulls’ Head, Charles & York Streets
1866-71 William Tuner, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Henry Millbank, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets


Cornwall Chronicle, 19 September 1836


Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1836
Continue reading

Royal Oak (1)

Cnr Wellington & Elizabeth Streets

1830-31 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington Street
1832-35 James McClure, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets
1836-37 Goodman Hart, Royal Oak, Wellington & Elizabeth Streets


Launceston Advertiser, 1 December 1834


Cornwall Chronicle, 1 July 1837


Cornwall Chronicle, 2 September 1837


Cornwall Chronicle, 28 April 1838

Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location
Demolished 1972

SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
Demolished 1894.

Mw1_0735
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)

Previously Green Gate
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan
1847-48 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1848 Jane Clark/Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1849-53 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1853-54 Daniel O’Donell, Wilmot Arms, Wellington and Brisbane Streets
1854-55 George Summers, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1855-63 John Blades, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1863-66 Charles Page, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1866-68 Alfred John Green, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1868-69 Alfred Stephen Harris, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1869 John Sullivan, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
1870-80 Michael Lawler, Wilmot Arms, Brisbane and Wellington Streets
–> License transferred to former Fire Brigade Inn, Brisbane Street

Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)

Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.

In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Continue reading

Green Gate — Golden Fleece

Previously Sandhill
1841 James Corbett, Green Gate, Wellington St
1842 John Main, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1842-44 Matthew. Mason, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845 Israel Shaw, Green Gate, Wellington Street
1845-46 Israel Shaw, Golden Fleece, Wellington Street

NEW LICENCES REFUSED.
William Bourne, Travellers Rest, Sandhill (formerly the Harrow Inn); refused on account of situation. Mr. Corbett. of the Green Gate [at Sandhill], was also given to understand that, for the same reasons, his house would be licensed for one year only, at the expiration of which time it would not be renewed.
Launceston Advertiser, 3 September 1840


Launceston Advertiser, 4 November 1841


Launceston Examiner, 11 June 1842

Transfer – At the Court of Quarter Sessions held by adjournment yesterday, Mr. John Main’s license for the public-house in Wellington-street, called the Green Gate, was transferred to Mr. Mason, son of Mr. William Mason, of the Elephant and Castle, Wellington street.
Cornwall Chronicle, 12 November 1842
Continue reading

Green Gate — Wilmot Arms

Cnr Garfield Street and Wellington Street (Road), Sandhill/South Launceston. Google Maps approximate location.
Demolished 1927.

1834 George Dodery, Green Gate Inn, Main Rd/Sandhill
1835 Stephen Hopwood, Green Gate, Launceston
1836 Lewis Henry Lazarus?
1836-40 James Corbett, Green Gate, Sandhill
—> Moved to Wellington Street
1844-47 Nicholas Clark, Wilmot Arms, Sand Hill
–> Moved to site of Black Swan, cnr Brisbane & Wellington streets

The Colonist, 20 May 1834
The Colonist, 20 May 1834


Colonial Times, 4 November 1834
Continue reading

British Hotel

NE corner of Wellington & Balfour Streets. Google maps.

Home to what seems to have been Launceston’s first theatre (1834, see advertisements below). Became the colonial hospital in the early 1840s, and then the public Cornwall Hospital until the construction of the Launceston General Hospital in 1863.

1832 Alexander Rose, British Hotel, Wellington Street
1833 Henry Davis, British Hotel, Wellington Street
1834 Thomas Massey, British Hotel, Wellington Street
1835-36 John Hamilton Jacobs, British Hotel, Wellington Street


Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1831

Although this says Charles St, the license is granted for the following year (1832) and Rose is signing himself as the proprietor of the British Hotel, Wellington Street in May 1832 (see first ad below).

British Hotel Launceston Advertiser, 9 May 1832
Launceston Advertiser, 9 May 1832


The Independent, 6 April 1833
Continue reading