SE corner of Tamar Street and Boland St (previously the Esplanade). Google Maps.
1888-91 Patrick Tynan, Tynan’s Hotel, Tamar Street bridge/Tamar Street & Esplanade
1892-93 Sarah Davies, Tynan’s Hotel, Tamar Street (advertised as Davies’ Hotel)
1894 Elizabeth Mary Davies, Tynan’s Hotel, Tamar Street
1895 Sarah Davies, Tynan’s Hotel, Tamar Street
1896 Robert Earl, snr, Tynan’s Bridge Hotel, Tamar Street
1897-99 Patrick Murphy, Tynan’s Hotel, Tamar Street and Esplanade
Known as Tynan’s Bridge Hotel during the 1890s, Bridge Hotel (officially from 1903), Victoria Bridge Hotel (from 1908) and later Backwater Creek Hotel.
Photo of Invermay Rd & bridge, hotel on left at back
1940s as Victoria Bridge Hotel
Photo, 1995, as Backwater Creek
Continue reading Tynan’s Hotel — Bridge Hotel
Tamar St, near bridge
The best I can tell it was on the east side of Tamar Street, on or beside the Esplanade (now Boland St), which is shown below. The hotel on the corner is Tynan’s Hotel, constructed 1888.
Continue reading Ferry House Hotel
cnr of Tamar and Cimitiere Street
1833 John Griffith
1834-35 William Griffiths
1836-40 John Jacob Driver
Possibly this moved. One of the ads below places the building “lately known at the Whale Fishery” in Cimitiere Street running back towards William St. Based on Smythe’s map of 1835 (below), there is a block in Cimitiere Street, Bridge (Tamar) St and running back towards William Street (makred with a red X) but it has no buildings marked on it and if the block had a long Bridge Street frontage, why wasn’t this mention? Then the following year there is an advertisement for the premises formerly known at the Whale Fishery, with buildings, when the house in question was obviously still licensed by that name. The simplest explanation seems to be that the Whale Fisher was originally further west, along Cimitiere St and bout 1834 moved to the corner of Bridge/Tamar St.
Also using the map above, there is only one corner of Tamar and Cimitiere that has buildings marked, shown here with a red arrow.
That location looks like this now:
Continue reading Whale Fishery
Cnr Tamar & Brisbane Streets.
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 February 1851
Cornwall Chronicle, 10 September 1851
Continue reading Sawyer’s Arms (2) – Royal Oak Hotel (2)