Included the Olympic Theatre 1840s – 1850s.
Photo, c.1868 (in the background)
1830-33 London Tavern, George Sinclair Brodie, Cameron St
1833-37 Edmund Bartlett
1837 George Coulstock, London Tavern
1838-44 Benjamin Hyrons, London Tavern
1844 Nicholas Clarke, London Tavern
1844-48 Samuel Storey, London Inn/Hotel, St John & Cameron Streets
1849-51 Benjamin Walford, London Inn, Cameron & St John Streets
1851-55 Henry Godfrey, London Inn, St John & Cameron Streets
1855-58 George Adams, London Hotel, corner of St John and Cameron-streets
1859-60 David McQuestion, London Tavern, St John and Cameron Streets
1861-66 Charles Maryon Crooks, London Tavern, St John and Cameron Streets
1868-69 Feltham Bold Watson, London Family Hotel, St John and Cameron Streets
1870-71 Feltham Bold Watson, London Hotel, St John and Cameron Streets Continue reading →
1860-1862 Benjamin Hyrons, Three Grand Masters, Quadrant. G
1863 Thomas Bruff, Shakespeare Hotel, Quadrant name changed
1864-55 Benjamin Hyrons, Shakespeare Hotel, Quadrant
1866 Matthew Wilkes, Shakespeare
1866-67 Mr J. Solomon, Shakespeare Hotel, St John-street
1868-73 Joseph Dyson, sen Shakespeare Hotel, Quadrant
1874-78 Joseph Dyson, Shakespeare Hotel, St. John street and Quadrant
1880-88 Joseph Dyson, sen., Shakespeare Hotel, St. John and York streets location changed
1889-92 William Job Spearman, , York and St. John streets, Shakespeare Hotel
1893-1902 Hugh George Webb, Shakespeare Hotel, York and St John street
1903 Hugh Huston, Shakespeare Hotel, St John-street
1904 Edwin Waller, Metropolitan Hotel name changed Continue reading →
1824-25 Nathaniel Lucas, Ship Inn
1827-29 John McDiarmid, Ship Inn, St John St
1829 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, St John & William St
–>Moved to Charles Street.
+This site became Commercial Hotel and then Star & Garter and then Ship again.
1835-37 James Whitehead, Ship Inn, Wharf/St John Street
1837-50 Robert Brand, Ship Inn, St John Street
1851-55 Mary Ann Brand, Ship Inn, St John & William Streets
1855-57 Thomas Wells, Ship Inn, St John & William Streets
1857 Burnt down. New location refused.
In 1824, Nathaniel Lucas, Ship Inn appears in the list of licenses granted, and he is advertising the premises shortly thereafter although there is no indication of the location.
Previously Ship Inn
1830 Alexander Wales, Commercial Tavern, St Johns Street
1832 George Dodery, Commercial Tavern, Wharf
Later Star & Garter & Ship Inn
In 1830, under “New Licenses Granted”: Alexander Wales, Commercial Tavern, Saint John’s-street
Launceston Advertiser, 18 October 1830
TO COMMERCIAL GENTLEMAN, NEWLY ARRIVED EMIGRANTS, TRAVELLING FAMILIES, AND THE PUBLIC IN GENERAL.
Mr. GEORGE DODERY, formerly Proprietor of the Canning Tavern, at Sydney, and subsequently conductor of the “King’s Arms,” in Launceston, takes leave, in respectfully thanking a generous community for the patronage already shown him, to announce that he has entered into possession of those most eligibly situated, conveniently arranged, and extensive Premises, known as THE COMMERCIAL TAVERN, at the Wharf, which he, at a very considerable expense has earnestly endeavored to fit and improve so as to afford all possible accommodation. Mr. Dodery will be found at all times solicitous to make his House a Home for every becoming Guest, however humble. Boarders will be received on the lowest terms compatible with the expense of a good Table, and with the principle of economy. The premises comprise seven Travellers’ Chambers, a Billiard Room, Two excellent Parlors, the accommodation of a small but Select Library, in conjunction with all the papers published in this Colony, and at Sydney ; and an uniform desire on the parts of him self, his wife, his son, and the servants, to be come patronised by deserving patronage. The Shades, which are attached to the “The Commercial Tavern,” are well known by the Jolly Sons of Neptune, whose continued support is, with gratitude for past favors, hereby entreated.
Merchants, or others, having occasion to meet in a retired room, for the arrangement of business, will experience at Mr. Dodery’s, every attention. TERMS MODERATE.
N. B. The Billiard Room will be opened for the accommodation of the Public, on the 2nd proximo.
EXCELLENT STABLING. Launceston Advertiser, 15 November 1832 Continue reading →