Globe (4)

NE cnr George and Cimitiere Streets. Google Maps.
Built 1882.  Currently Lloyd’s Hotel.
Also known as Sharpe’s Family Hotel & Globe Family Hotel.

Photo, 1930

Img_3909

1882-1885 John Edwards, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1886 William Sydney Monks, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1887 Thomas John Strong, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1887 Robert Earl, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1889 Frederick Holloway, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1889 Alfred Edwards, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1890 Elizabeth Ann Edwards, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere Streets
1891-92 John William Holloway, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere streets
1893-95 John Philip Sharpe, Sharpe’s Family Hotel, George Street
1896 Lillian Phillips, Globe Hotel, George and Cimitiere streets
1897-99 John William Holloway, Globe Family Hotel
Continue reading

Cross Keys Inn – Railway Tavern

Cnr of George and Cimitiere Streets, possibly north-east corner. Google Maps.
Southern side of York St, between Bathurst & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location

182930 James Anderson, Cross Keys, George Street
1831- Abraham Lenoy, Cross Keys, George Street
1832-36 Mary Lenoy, Cross Keys, George Street
1837-48 William Brean, Cross Keys, York St
1849 Robert Blake, Cross Keys, York Street
1850-51 Henry Mills, Cross Keys, York Street
1852 Abel Blades, Cross Keys, York Street
1853 James Lewis, Cross Keys, York Street
1856 John West, Cross Keys, York Street
1858 John Partridge, Cross Keys, York Street
1859-62 William Jones, Cross Keys, York Street
1862 Job Haycock, Cross Keys, York Street
1863-67 Edward Spencer, Railway Tavern, York Street
1868-70 William Darcy, Railway Tavern , York Street
1870 George Butterworth, Railway Tavern, York Street
1871 Licence Refused

Dscn3150
Intersection of Cimitiere and George Sts. (Left side is the north-east corner.)
Continue reading

Whale Fishery

cnr of Tamar and Cimitiere Street

1833 John Griffith
1834-35 William Griffiths
1836-40 John Jacob Driver

Possibly this moved. One of the ads below places the building “lately known at the Whale Fishery” in Cimitiere Street running back towards William St. Based on Smythe’s map of 1835 (below), there is a block in Cimitiere Street, Bridge (Tamar) St and running back towards William Street (makred with a red X) but it has no buildings marked on it and if the block had a long Bridge Street frontage, why wasn’t this mention? Then the following year there is an advertisement for the premises formerly known at the Whale Fishery, with buildings, when the house in question was obviously still licensed by that name. The simplest explanation seems to be that the Whale Fisher was originally further west, along Cimitiere St and bout 1834 moved to the corner of Bridge/Tamar St.

Smythe 1835

Also using the map above, there is only one corner of Tamar and Cimitiere that has buildings marked, shown here with a red arrow.

That location looks like this now:

WP_20160412_13_03_33_Pro
Continue reading