Bull’s Head

Wellington Street, Sandhill/South Launceston
SW cnr Charles & Brisbane Streets. Google Maps.
Charles Street
NW cnr Charles and York Streets. Google Maps.

1834-36 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Wellington Street/Main Road
1836-43 William Collins, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets
1843-50 William Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles & Brisbane Streets (burnt down)
1850 William Duncan sen., Bull’s Head, Charles Street
1851-57 William Duncan, Senr., Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1857-58 Alexander Duncan, Bull’s Head, Charles and York Streets
1858-66 John Burns Thompson, Bulls’ Head, Charles & York Streets
1866-71 William Tuner, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Henry Millbank, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets
1871 Elizabeth Woods, Bull’s Head, Charles & York Streets


Cornwall Chronicle, 19 September 1836


Cornwall Chronicle, 3 December 1836
Continue reading

Globe (2)

1833 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Canning St
1834 Samuel Hutchinson, Globe, Elizabeth & Wellington Streets*
1834 James Corbett, Globe, Canning Street**

This might be the same site as the King’s Arms, as John Ashton appears to have moved the Arms to Elizabeth and Wellington Street in late 1834.

**Might not be the same site as previously.

Mr. Samuel Hutchinson of the “Globe Tavern” has had his License transferred from his new Residence in Canning street, to those well situated’ premises at the angle of Elizabeth and Wellington streets, belonging to Mr. John Ashton.
The Independent, 8 March 1834


Last mention of Hutchinson & Globe. (Independent, 7 June 1834)

Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834
Hobart Town Courier, 22 August 1834


Independent, 6 September 1834

Ship Inn (2)

Charles Street

Previously in St John Street
1830 Patrick Carolan, Ship Inn, Charles St
1831-34 George Aylwin, Ship Inn, Charles St

This Charles Street site was previously licensed to Robert Heaney as the Waterloo Tavern.
The St John Street building became the Commercial Tavern, the Star & Garter and then Ship Inn again.

Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830

In 1831, the Ship Inn of Charles St is licensed to George Aylwin, and he reappears on the list the following year although the names of the premises aren’t given, and in 1833. In June 1834 he is charged with breaching the licensing act and advertising a candle manufactory. After this I can find no mention of Aylwin. (His wife and child seem to have gone to Sydney.)

Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832
Launceston Advertiser, 27 December 1832

Cornwall Coffee Rooms

Bathurst & York St
Charles Street?
Paterson St.  Approximate location on Google Maps.

wp_20161212_16_58_01_pro
Paterson St, December 2016. The Coffee Rooms adjoined the old Examiner building  (the red, white & yellow building), so on the site of the brick and glass addition.

Paterson St, 1940s (low two-storey building, two doors along from the National. Tall brick building is the Examiner building).
Paterson St, 1970 (on the left).

1843 George Bygrave, York & Bathurst Streets*
1845 George Layton, Paterson St*
1845-51 licensed as the White Horse
1852-54 John Thompson, Paterson St

*I don’t know if these are the same establishment. Continue reading

Enfield Hotel (2)

169 Charles St. Google Maps.

img_2391
Now a shop.

Photo while still a hotel (1960s-1980s)
Earlier but poor quality image
1885 street scene, cnr of Charles and York Streets. Charles St runs from the bottom left corner. Enfield must be the third from the corner, next door to the low auction mart building.)

1868-85 Elijah E. Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles Street
1885-88 Jane Elizabeth Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles Street
1888+ Edward Henry Panton, Enfield Hotel, Charles-street. Continue reading

Edinburgh Castle (1)

Elizabeth & Charles Streets
Elizabeth Street

The notices below include an advertisement for a property on the corner of Elizabeth & Charles Street next door to the Edinburgh Castle, whereas earlier locations are given as “Charles Street” or “Elizabeth and Charles”. Now, it’s possible for a building one form the corner to described as being on the corner of Charles & Elizabeth, people aren’t always precise, but a Elizabeth St frontage away from the corner wouldn’t given as Charles St. So the premises have moved (from a corner site to the Elizabeth site, or from Charles Street to Elizabeth St, or both. The former seems most likely, c.1839).  According to George Fuller, the Edinburgh Castle was located just along from the SW corner of Charles and Elizabeth Street, approximately here.

1831-36 Robert Brand, Edinburgh Castle, Charles Street
1836-39 Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle, cnr Charles & Elizabeth Streets
1839-40 Richard Chugg, Edinburgh Castle, Elizabeth Street
1840-47 Henry Reading, Elizabeth Street
Moved to corner of Bathurst & Frederick Streets
Building became Good Woman Inn.


Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1831

Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1836
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 October 1836
Continue reading