London Tavern

NE corner of St John and Cameron Streets. Google Maps.

WP_20160805_13_56_21_Pro
Cnr of St John & Cameron St, August 2016.

Included the Olympic Theatre 1840s – 1850s.

Photo, c.1868
(in the background)

1830-33 London Tavern, George Sinclair Brodie, Cameron St
1833-37 Edmund Bartlett
1837  George Coulstock, London Tavern
1838-44 Benjamin Hyrons, London Tavern
1844  Nicholas Clarke, London Tavern
1844-48 Samuel Storey, London Inn/Hotel, St John & Cameron Streets
1849-51 Benjamin Walford, London Inn, Cameron & St John Streets
1851-55 Henry Godfrey, London Inn, St John & Cameron Streets
1855-58 George Adams, London Hotel, corner of St John and Cameron-streets
1859-60 David McQuestion, London Tavern, St John and Cameron Streets
1861-66 Charles Maryon Crooks, London Tavern, St John and Cameron Streets
1868-69 Feltham Bold Watson, London Family Hotel, St John and Cameron Streets
1870-71 Feltham Bold Watson, London Hotel, St John and Cameron Streets
Continue reading

Joiners’ Arms

Cameron St
cnr George & Brisbane Sts
Later Half Moon Inn

1831 William Evans, Joiners’ Arms, Cameron-street
1832-33 David Williams, Joiner’s Arms, George and Brisbane streets.


Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1831

Launceston Advertiser, 21 November 1833
Launceston Advertiser, 21 November 1833

Launceston Advertiser, 12 March 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 12 March 1835

Change of occupier and name to the Half-moon Inn

 

Launceston Advertiser, 8 October 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 8 October 1835

Hope & Anchor (1) — Glasgow Tavern/Wine Vaults

SE cnr George and Cameron Streets.  Google Maps.
also known as Anchor & Hope

1826-30 William Patten, Hope & Anchor, Cameron Street
1830-33 Thomas Inall, Hope & Anchor, Cameron Street
1834 Isaac Solomon, Hope and Anchor, George Street
1835 Josias Macellan, Hope and Anchor, Cameron & George Street
1835-1841 Josias McAllan, Glasgow Tavern
1842-43 Josias McAllan, Glasgow Wine Vaults, George & Cameron-streets
1843-50 Richard Scott, Glasgow Wine Vaults, George & Cameron Streets
1850-55 James Williams, Glasgow Wine Vaults, George & Cameron Streets
1855 Refused
1856 Joseph Grigg, as a boarding house
1856-62 Joseph Grigg, Glasgow Wine Vaults, Cameron and George-streets
1862-83 Philip Davis, Glasgow Wine Vaults, Cameron and George-streets
1883 Refused
1884 Philip Davis, Glasgow Wine Vaults, Cameron & George Streets
1884 Alfred Davis, Glasgow Wine Vaults, Cameron and George-streets

Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Launceston Advertiser, 14 June 1830
Continue reading

Commercial Tavern (1)

Cameron Street.
18241826 Henry Davis
1827 Abraham Aaron

HTG 12 November 1824
Hobart Town Gazette, 12 November 1824

From an advertisement:
JUST Arrived, and ON SALE at the Brick Store adjoining the Commercial Tavern (and nearly opposite the Commissariat, Cameron-street, a most Valuable Assortment of Merchandize,
Tasmanian & Port Dalrymple Advertiser, 23 March 1825

Hobart Town Courier, 27 October 1827
Hobart Town Courier, 27 October 1827

Hobart Town Courier, 27 October 1827

Cornwall Hotel (1)

Img_3917

Cameron St.
Originally constructed 1824
Licensed 1826
Currently Batman Fawkner Inn

Companion to Tasmanian History entry

From a lecture by Mr E. Whitfield. 1897:
About 1825 the Cornwall came into existence, and was kept by Mr. J. P. Fawkner, famous as having been one of the founders of Melbourne. He was a most useful man in the community. He was baker, butcher, general storekeeper, and sawyer. He instituted a circulating library, gave lessons in French, was lawyer, and pleaded for people at the Court of Requests; was also editor and proprietor of a paper, the “Launceston Advertiser;” added to this he was market gardener and coach proprietor.
Launceston Examiner, 6 February 1897

Img_3918
Continue reading