SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)
1826 George Burgess, Black Swan, Launceston
1827 George Burgess, Black Swan, Launceston
?-1831 Thomas Caryl, Black Swan (College Arms?), Launceston*
1831-33 Neil Campbell, Black Swan, Brisbane Street
1834 Adam Moore
1835-37 George Archer, Black Swan
1838 William Mason, Black Swan
1839 Thomas Dudley, Black Swan Wine Vaults, Brisbane & Wellington Streets
1840-42 Thomas Dudley, Black Swan, Wellington St/Brisbane St
1843-45 James Childs, Black Swan, Brisbane and Wellington streets
1846 License refused
Became Wilmot Arms
*1830 Thomas Caryl is listed as being granted a licence for the College Arms.
Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)
From a lecture by Mr E. Whitfield. 1897:
In 1820 came the first public house, “The Black Swan,” kept by G. Burgess, corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets. Then came in 1823 the Launceston, the Plough Inn, kept by W. Field, where Hart and Sons are now, and the Hope and Anchor, kept by Nat. Lucas. The Launceston Hotel ,was built by Richard White, familiarly known as “Dicky White.”
Launceston Examiner, 6 February 1897
Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.
In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Colonial Times, 13 July 1827
Continue reading Black Swan