Clarendon Hotel, Evandale

11 Russell St, Evandale. Google Maps.


17 May 2014

1849 Thomas Fall
1850-88 Thomas Fall, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Botcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 William Atkins, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1889 Oscar Bottcher, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1890-92 Walter Smith, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1892-93 Kate Nichols, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale
1893+ Michael John Ryan, Clarendon Hotel, Evandale


Dawn, 20 February 2016
Continue reading

Breadalbane Hotels

Wheat Sheaf: Springs
1826 Robert Taylor

Tasmanian Inn: Springs, Cocked Hat Hill, Prospect Hill
1831-37 Patrick Carolan

Rob Roy: Springs
1832 Roderick MacDonald
1833 James Gurney

Robin Hood: Springs
1834-36 James Lucas

Birmingham Arms: Springs
1834 William Wright

White Hart Inn: Springs
1835 Charles Radcliffe
1835-36 William Kitson

Halfway House: Springs, Cocked Hat
1837-8 James Segrave

Albion Inn: Springs, Cocked Hat Hill, Breadalbane
1839-1869 see post

Woolpack Inn: Cocked Hat, Breadalbane
1859-1920 see post

Also two unlicensed premises:

Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House: Cocked Hat
1850s
Temperance Hotel: Breadalbane
1884

Patriot King William the Fourth, Evandale

16 High Street, Evandale. Google Maps.

As all the source materials (licensing lists, newspaper advertisements etc) only give the locality or town, it is difficult to tell if a hotel has always been at location or might have, in its earlier years, been elsewhere. In this case, Karl von Stieglitz says John Williat had an inn at New River in 1832 that “was built on the 37.5 acre block on which his house, the Laurels, and also later ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth’, now Blenheim, were afterwards erected”, but at the bottom of the same page he says Blenheim “was built as ‘The Patriot King William the Fourth” in 1832, being licensed in October of that year”. So take that as you will.
(A history of Evandale, K. R. von Stieglitz, 1967, p. 68)


November 2004

1832 John Willett, New River
1833 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV, South Esk
1834 John Williat, King William the Fourth, South Esk River
1835-37 John Williat, Patriot King, William the Fourth, New River
1838-39 John Williat, Patriot King, William the 4th, Evandale
1840 Eleanor Perkins, King William the Fourth, Evandale,
1841-42 John Williatt, Patriot King, William IV. Evandale.
1843-1849 Thomas Fall, Patriot King, William the Fourth, Evandale
1849-1853 John Williat, King William the Fourth, Evandale
1853-57 William Wright, Patriot King (William IV), Evandale
1857-1870 John Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale
1871-76 Dinah Duffell, Patriot King Hotel, Evandale.
1876+ Private residence
Continue reading

Robin Hood, Springs

1834-36 James Lucas, Robin Hood, Springs


The Independent, 6 September 1834


Launceston Advertiser, 2 July 1835

From “Launceston Police Intelligence”:
James Lucas, of the Springs, for allowing Charles Clayton and James Rivulet (both transported offenders) in his public house on the night of the 26th ultimo, was sentenced to pay a penalty of £5. Mr. Lucas said he would appeal at the next Quarter Sessions against the fine.
Cornwall Chronicle, 16 January 1836

Breadalbane Temperance Hotel

Breadalbane.

1884-5 George Horder

Nothing on this, other than some sale notices.

From “Annual Licensing Meeting”:
George Horder, Breadalbane Hotel, Beadalbane. There being one house at Breadalbane already licensed, the application was refused.
Daily Telegraph, 2 December 1884

Unlicensed (temperance) hotels are often established after an application for a licence has been rejected. This would seem to be the case here.


Launceston Examiner, 11 July 1884


Daily Telegraph, 21 April 1885


Launceston Examiner, 4 January 1886

Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House

Breadalbane, 1850s

Cannot find much about this, other than two short news items at the bottom of the page. Was it located in the building that had originally been the Albion Inn?

In 1849, “Timothy Sullivan applied for a license at the Cocked Hat, district of Morven. The premises for which applicant applied were lately occupied by Mr. Pilbeam, but Mr. Pilbeam finding the premises inconvenient, obtained permission from Mr. Wales, the assistant P. M., to remove to an adjoining house … The land originally belonged to Mr. Scott, who had not resided in the colony for many years, it was rented to Mr. Solomon, and by him sub-rented to Mr. Pilbeam, who had at a great expense erected the house to which he had lately removed. (Cornwall Chronicle, 9 May 1849)

Unlicensed hotels (temperance hotels, coffee houses etc) are often established in establishments that have been refused licenses. The two contemporary stories (below) have the coffee house as belonging to Mrs Pilbeam and Mr Scott, which supports it being the house referred to in the rejected application.

A 1949 story about the Woolpack Inn being redeveloped says:

The Woolpack Inn, earlier known as the Breadalbane Coffee House, was built in the late 30’s on land granted in 1838 to Thomas Scott, one of Van Diemen’s Land’s earliest settlers. He was a land surveyor from County Barwick, Scotland, and he apparently conceived Breadalbane as the site for a big township. He sub divided much of his 584 acres and named the area the Cocked Hat Hill Estate.
Advocate, 16 November 1949

————————————
Cocked Hat — The draft of the bill for dividing the colony into electoral districts, and providing representatives for the same, leaves out entirely the small village at the Cocked Hat–so that the houses of Mrs. Pilbeam–the Breadalbane Coffee-house, and another, are beyond the pale of electoral privileges
Cornwall Chronicle, 30 April 1851

FIRE–About two o’clock this morning, the Breadalbane Temperance Coffee House, at the Cocked Hat was destroyed by fire the walls only being left standing. The property belongs to Mr. Thomas Scott: the Surveyor, now in England.
Colonial Times, 20 January 1853

Rob Roy, The Springs

1831 Roderick M’Donald, South Esk
1832 Roderick MacDonald, Rob Roy, Springs
1833-34 James Gurney, Rob Roy, Springs


Hobart Town Courier, 1 October 1831


The Independent, 11 May 1833

Two of the same party, the next morning, called at the “Rob Roy” public-house, at the Springs, kept by a man named Gurney : they represented themselves as settlers from Ben Lomond; ordered breakfast, of which they partook, and on leaving said, they would return in the evening, on their way home. Accordingly they returned, and ordered beds. During the evening, a knock at the door was answered by the landlord, when two men from without presented fire arms, and ordered him to stand. On looking round, he found one of the strangers, who were with him in the morning, standing behind him with a pistol presented at his (Gurney’s) head. The four men, supposed to be Ward, Newman, Lindsay, and Buchan, then proceeded to tie the inmates of the house ; and after remaining about two hours, decamped, taking with them tea, sugar, tobacco, flour, bread, and some money, to the amount of £27. The robbery was soon, after they left, reported to District Constable Murray, who went in pursuit of the thieves, but without success.
The Colonist, 28 January 1834


The Independent, 19 April 1834


Launceston Advertiser, 13 July 1837

Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane

Breadalbane.

1856 James Coope, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1861 Edwaard Humphries, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1862-66 William Hanney, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1867-68 William Henry Parkinson, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869 W. Saltmarsh, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1869-71 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1871-72 Henry Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1872-4 Richard Chugg, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1874-77 Wm. Wyndham Barton, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1877 Elizabeth Barton/Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878 Phillip Davis, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1878-82 Charles Landsdell, Woolpack Inn,Breadalbane
1882-83 George Laird, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1883-97 Robert Barker, Woolpack Inn, Breadalbane
1900+ Robert Barker, Woolpack Hotel, Breadalbane

(There doesn’t seem to much information on this one for early years, but the above is what I’ve been able to find. I would really like to find some more about the who and when (and where) prior to Parkinson.)


Launceston Examiner, 27 December 1859
Continue reading