SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. Google Maps, approximate location.
SE cnr Brisbane & Wellington Streets. (2015)
1826 George Burgess, Black Swan, Launceston
1827 George Burgess, Black Swan, Launceston
?-1831 Thomas Caryl, Black Swan (College Arms?), Launceston*
1831-33 Neil Campbell, Black Swan, Brisbane Street
1834 Adam Moore
1835-37 George Archer, Black Swan
1838 William Mason, Black Swan
1839 Thomas Dudley, Black Swan Wine Vaults, Brisbane & Wellington Streets
1840-42 Thomas Dudley, Black Swan, Wellington St/Brisbane St
1843-45 James Childs, Black Swan, Brisbane and Wellington streets
1846 License refused
Became Wilmot Arms
*1830 Thomas Caryl is listed as being granted a licence for the College Arms.
Photo of Wellington St, with Brisbane St intersection on the very right. The light coloured building on that corner is the Wilmot Arms (name is along the top), which is a facade around the older Black Swan. (Alternate link.)
From a lecture by Mr E. Whitfield. 1897:
In 1820 came the first public house, “The Black Swan,” kept by G. Burgess, corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets. Then came in 1823 the Launceston, the Plough Inn, kept by W. Field, where Hart and Sons are now, and the Hope and Anchor, kept by Nat. Lucas. The Launceston Hotel ,was built by Richard White, familiarly known as “Dicky White.”
Launceston Examiner, 6 February 1897
Extracts from Examiner story, “Colourful Old Hostelries”:
The first hotel in Launceston was the Black Swan, built in 1820, and kept by G. Burgess, an old whaler. It stood on the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets and was after wards known as the Wilmot Arms before it was pulled down.
In Brisbane St. where the Enfleld (now McClymont’s), Cleary’s (now Tuck’s shop), Wilmot Arms (now a motor garage), Noah’s Ark (at corner of Margaret St.), Glenfield House, Barber’s Hotel (now Routley’s and the adjoining bank) and the Fire Brigade (now the Imperial).
Examiner, 12 March 1946
Colonial Times, 13 July 1827
On Saturday Messrs. Gordon, Kenworthy, and Simpson met at the court house to grant licenses for the ensuing year. Mr. Gordon left early to proceed to George town to hold an inquest upon a Constable who had been shot while on duty at the female factory at that place, from which a woman named Sullivan made her escape the same night. Messrs. Kenworthy and Simpson then licensed 10 of the former Publicans, and also granted licenses to four new applicants, and refused to re-license John Fawkner, Junr. Mr. Geo. Burgess, and Mr. J. H. Jackson, and upon being applied to by them for time to dispose of their stock, Mr. Simpson said no time could be granted, although one or two have large stocks on hand. Why did the Magistrates visit these houses with out finding any fault with their accommodations, when they had determined not to license them, but to license others with most obviously inferior accommodations?
Launceston Advertiser, 28 September 1829
Hobart Town Courier, 30 July 1831
Launceston Advertiser, 20 October 1834
Launceston Advertiser, 9 February 1835
Hobart Town Courier, 29 May 1835
Launceston Advertiser, 15 October 1835
Cornwall Chronicle, 21 October 1835
Cornwall Chronicle, 15 June 1839
Cornwall Chronicle, 4 April 1840
Cornwall Chronicle, 3 April 1841
Launceston Advertiser, 16 March 1843
Launceston Advertiser, 23 March 1843
Launceston Advertiser, 6 July 1843
Launceston Advertiser, 10 August 1843
Cornwall Chronicle, 7 September 1844
Launceston Advertiser, 4 October 1844
Cornwall Chronicle, 26 October 1844
Cornwall Chronicle, 18 December 1844
Launceston Examiner, 18 June 1845
Cornwall Chronicle, 4 November 1846
REMOVAL OF AN OLD LANDMARK.
Another of the old buildings which have been associated in the minds of residents of long standing with the scenes and episodes of a past half century has been demolished. The place to which reference is made is the late Wilmot Arms, which stood for very many years at the corner of Brisbane and Wellington streets.
Daily Telegraph, 23 June 1894