Hard to find information on this little chapel. Possibly it was opened into 1846. A report published in the Examiner in late 1846 says:
During the year, three new chapels have been built and opened for public worship in the Launceston circuit, one at Evandale, the other at Patterson’s Plains.
In 1885, the congregation moved to the former Mission Hall in Macquarie Street.
Photo of later church
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Goulburn street, Hobart Town, now in course of erection, is calculated to accommodate 500 worshippers, in a locality where additional Church-room is greatly needed. The present contract is for the erection of the walls only, at an estimated cost of £1800. The contract was made on the 1st September last; and the funds then in hand did not exceed £1200, leaving a deficiency of £600, for which the members of the Building Committee are responsible. But it is supposed that another £600, at least, will be required to roof in the building, and render it externally complete.
The Courier, 2 November 1854
In August 1888 11 people met in a small, unlined hall near the Eastern end of Stewart Street in Formby (as Devonport was then named) and committed themselves to support a Sunday morning Baptist service. The services were held in that same hall. Hard seats and a billiard table were the only furnishings but the fellowship was warm and the congregation grew. In 1898 another hall was purchased and in 1904 a beautiful brick building was erected next door.
The Devonport Gallery
The Baptist Church built their tabernacle here in 1904 at a cost of £1400. It replaced the oldest of two halls built by Thomas Cowle in the 1800’s. The builder and designer were Stephen Priest Senior and Stephen Priest Junior. The community applauded both for their fine Gothic Design and workmanship. The Baptist Church moved to William Street and the Devonport Library moved across the road and was located here from 1969-1983. In that year, with community consent, it was converted to the Devonport Gallery and Arts Centre.
PATTERSON’s PLAINS CHAPEL.-This building, erected by the Wesleyans will be opened for divine service, on Sunday next, the 6th December, when the Rev. Mr. Eggleston will preach in the morning at eleven, and in the evening at six o’clock. This place of worship is situated about three miles from town, on the east bank of the North Esk, near Clarke’s Ford: though small, the chapel is a particularly neat specimen of the Italian style, and was designed by Mr. William Archer, junior, of Woolmers, who kindly presented the plan.
The Examiner, 2 December 1846
Detail from a painting by Frederick Strange (QVMAG collection).
Baptist Chapel, York Street c.1856
Lower Charles St, Launceston. Google Maps.
Opened 1833, as a single storey brick building. When the congregation moved to a newer, larger kirk in Paterson St, the building was sold and has seen various uses including as stores, a printery and offices. It was during this later period that it gained the second storey and new front part.