It has been decided to build a new Anglican Church at Meander to seat 150, the present building being too small and inconvenient. It will be let for state and Sunday schools, lanterns, socials, etc. It is hoped the Bishop will be able to lay the corner stone of the new building when he comes for Confirmation about November.
Launceston Examiner, 11 July 1896
The Archdeacon of Hobart is announced to lecture to-morrow evening in St. Mark’s school-room under the title of “A chat about New Guinea.” As the rev. gentleman will speak from personal observation, the address should prove very interesting Mr. A. Gridley’s tender for roofing St Mark’s Church has been accepted; also Mr. Reilly’s (Exton) for building a new Anglican church at Meander.
Launceston Examiner, 19 May 1897
CORNER STONE OF A NEW CHURCH.
ST. SAVIOUR’S, MEANDER.
The corner stone of St. Saviour’s Church, Meander, was laid to-day by Canon Beresford, in. the presence of a large number of people, including visitors from Deloraine. Rev. R. H. Cristies and the rector, Rev. L. T. Tarleton, were also present. Upwards of £15 was laid on the stone. After the ceremony, tea was provided in the Meander Hall, the property of Mr. F. J. Bowman, a generous benefactor to the church. About £90 has been raised in 11 months, leaving £50 to be collected by the opening at Christmas time. Mr. H. H. Freeman is the architect, and Mr. Reilly the contractor, and much valuable work ,has been done by residents.
Launceston, 23 September 1897
MEANDER, Feb. 3.
Our little church was formerly opened to-day by the Bishop of New Guinea. The congregation was large, and included many prominent residents from Deloraine. The clergy present were The Revs. Brammall, Christie, and Tarleton. The Rev. Sharland met with an accident while driving from West bury, so was unfortunately absent. The singing was hearty, and Miss Fitzgerald presided at the organ. The Bishop spoke at some length about mission work, pointing at that we should encourage by our prayers and alms the work of civilising and evangelising the heathen. After the ser vice the congregation moved to the hall and partook of refreshments, which were abundantly supplied by the ladies of the district, and then games, etc., were indulged in. In the evening the Bishop again spoke of New Guinea, and exhibited some curios made and used by the natives, many being works of art. Music was sup plied by Miss Woodberry and Mrs. Anderson (Victoria). Mr. H. V. Allison kindly contributed a solo, and played the accompaniments, expressing himself delighted with our grand piano, of which we are justly proud. The church was admired by all, and is a handsome structure; in fact, the best outside Deloraine. Mr. Tarleton, during the evening, thanked all who had taken part.
Launceston Examiner, 5 February 1898
The beautiful Church of St. Saviour, Meander, has now only a debt of £30 upon it, the altar being given by the church wardens of All Saints, Hobart, and it is hoped 10 seats will be given by local residents.
Launceston Examiner, 14 July 1898