THE Bazaar held in Campbell Town, in aid of the erection of St. Andrew’s Church, was numerously attended by the settlers in the district, and many parties from a considerable distance.
The Assembly Room was tastefully decorated with flags and widths of flowers, and the various stalls were covered with the beautiful specimens of needlework, &c. kindly and liberally furnished by the ladies of the congregation, and their friends in Hobart Town and Launceston, to whom too much praise and thanks cannot be given for the able manner in which they exerted themselves to render the bazaar both worthy of the district and of so good an undertaking.
The sales on the first day amounted to the large sum of £250, and if the weather had not been wet and stormy on the second day, it is more than probable that an equal sum would have been realized. The total proceeds amounted to £400, which, with the amount already subscribed will materially assist in the erection of one of the finest Churches in the colony.
The foundation-stone was laid by the Rev. Dr. Lillie in the presence of a large and respectable company, who listened with great interest to his description of the state of parties, both religious and political, in Great Britain ; of the great changes that had taken place in the amelioration of society and the promotion of the arts and sciences within the last twenty years, and especially of the importance of these colonies to the mother-country since the gold discoveries.
A bottle was deposited in the stone containing the colonial papers of the day ; the Illustrated London News, several coins, a list of the names of the Building Committee, and of the ladies who assisted at the bazaar.
The Church is to be built of freestone, upon one of the best sites in tho township, and when completed will cost upwards of £3000. It is designed by Messrs. Thomson and Cookney, architects, Hobart Town.
The Courier, 28 January 1857
Opened 1956 as Sunday School.