Tunnack Rd, Parattah. Google Maps.
PRESBYTERIANISM.–A movement is on foot in Parattah and the immediately adjoining townships to erect a Presbyterian church just at the back of the Parattah Main Line Railway-station. The architect is M r F. Fox, who has just completed the plans. These provide for a building 30ft by 16ft, with a height of 10ft, and it will be of weatherboard, with iron roof. The Rev. J . Campbell, of Oatlands, who has been in the habit of periodically conducting service in a private house in the township, is, we understand, doing his utmost to further the movement, and a number of subscriptions hare been collected. It is noteworthy that this will be the first place of divine worship erected in Parattah.
Tasmanian News, 7 June 1886
NEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, PARATTAH. A public meeting was held at Parattah on Thursday evening, 12th inst., to receive the report of the Provisional Committee appointed to call for tenders for the building. Mr. T. Littlechild took the chair, and the minutes of last public meeting were confirmed. The secretary read the minutes of all meetings held by the committee, and reported that five tenders had been received, of which the committee recommended that the lowest, Mr. J. Upchurch’s, at £108, be accepted. This was confirmed in a resolution proposed by Mr. Rennie, and seconded by Mr. C. Bigwood. The following committee were then appointed to carry out all arrangements in connection with the building :-Messrs. T. Littlechild, Geo. Wilson, Jno. Wilson, C. R. Weeding, J. L. B. Tabart, R. Turnbull, J. Johnstone, C. Bigwood, J, Colvin, A. Lyall, Geo. Nettle fold, and A. Burrill, with power to add to their number. Mr. Jno. Wilson was elected hon. treasurer, and J. Colvin hon. secretary. The committee have since and appointed Messrs. Littlechild, Weeding, Johnstone and Turnbull as the Building Committee, with full power to act, so that a start will be made as soon as possible.
While the ladies are busily engaged in forming the nucleus of a bazaar to be held in aid of the church, each member of the committee has armed himself with a subscription list for the benefit of the public at largo, who are cordially invited to subscribe freely. The rising township once boasted of a flourishing and well-conducted Sunday-school, which unfortunately fell through, not on account of scarcity of material, as the bracing climate seems peculiarly adapted to the growth of “olive branches,” but as no room was available. This will be started again as soon as the church is erected, and will prove a great benefit to the young people, who regretted the breaking up of the school as much as the teachers. The number who attend the present service, held monthly in a private room, fully warrant the erection of a church but the amount needed is a large sum to raise in a small place, so that it is hoped the committee will meet with encouragement and support from people in other districts, who cannot do butter than follow the example of Parattah residents, all of whom have subscribed liberally and willingly according to their means. The church is to be built on a piece of ground generously presented by Air. John Russell, of Hobart, and will be an ornament to the township. It looks very well on paper. The dimensions will be 30ft. by 16ft. As the tender does not include seats or other church furniture, it will be necessary for all friends and those working for the church, to put their shoulders to the wheel and try if possible to have the building opened free from debt.
The Mercury, 14 August 1886
Our Presbyterian friends held a very successful bazaar at Parattah last Friday and Saturday evenings, when the pockets of their visitors were tapped to the extent of £40, which sum is to go towards paying for the little church lately erected there.
Daily Telegraph, 20 December 1886
Refreshing showers have fallen during the past week, and the weather which had been insufferably hot is now delightfully cool.
Our new Presbyterian Church was opened under most favourable auspices on Sunday, 30th ult., at 3 o’clock. This edifice, which is of modern type of architecture, is an ornament to the township, and it must be highly satisfactory to those who laboured so hard for its erection, that it was opened free from debt. I record this fact with much pleasure.
Having now an hotel, church, and public school—the latter, a model of architectural beauty, the necessity has arisen for increased police protection; and a petition to this end, numerously and influentially signed, has been laid before the Oatlands Municipal Council.
Launceston Examiner, 10 February 1887