Open 1879. Replaced by a newer building in 1952.
Mr. THOMASON, bush missionary, gave an account of his work at the Huon subsequent to the period embraced in the report. On the 10th January last he entered upon his work, and from that time to the 7th of this month—a period of a little over four months—he had preached 102 times in Franklin, Port Cygnet, Irish Town, Castle Forbes Bay, Wattle Grove, Gardiner’s Bay, Surge’s Bay, Port Esperance, Hastings, Recherche, Southport, and other places. Although the distances had been long, he had every reason to be thankful with the success of his labours. He had met with the greatest kindness and hospitality ; and he had had the happiness of seeing no less than 34 souls converted to the truth. (Hear, hear.) Some present perhaps asked what conversion meant and he might answer, what made men praying men. All the 34 persons he alluded to had, since their conversion, engaged in public prayer, and some of the young men had conducted prayer meetings and Sunday-schools. At tho Huon there were 102 members in connection with the Wesleyan Church. With regard to finances, he might mention that the people of Port Cygnet, Irish Town, Gardiner’s Bay, and Wattle Grove had guaranteed to provide a sum of £42 a-year towards the bush mission in the district. (Hear, hear.) There were places far better than those which did not come out in that way. He was not able to state what the other side of tho Huon—Franklin, Castle Forbes Bay, etc.—would do, though he hoped to/be able to do so before the mission meetings closed ; but he believed the Huon district would be self-supporting, so far as the bush mission was concerned. (Applause.) As regards the attendance, the average at Franklin was 90, and at Port Cygnet, the last two or three times, there was not sufficient room for the people. The success of the work was not, however, due to him, but to men who had been labouring there for years for the salvation of souls. They had been ploughing, and sowing, and harrowing, and he had come in to help them to reap a little.
The Mercury, 16 May 1876
(From our own Correspondent.)
The new Wesleyan Church was opened for public worship on Sunday inst. On Monday a tea-meeting was held, the proceeds of which were devoted to the building fund ; there were fully 150 persons present and congratulatory addresses were delivered, The building is a very tasteful structure, and speaks volumes for the builder–Mr, Thompson–and it certainly is a great ornament to our little township, its dimensions are as follow:- Length 27 feet, width 17 feet, 10 feet studs, 13 feet rafters, lined three feet high with blackwood, and the remainder of the building is lined with Huon pine. There is a tablet erected in the church to the memory of the late Mr. C. F. Glover, wlio became a local preacher in 1865, and died in 1873 in Victoria ; there is no pulpit in the building, but in its stead a neat platform has been erected. The front of the building is nicely ornamented, and altogether it is a neat and compact structure, and has been erected more expeditiously than any other building in Port Cygnet for some time. There are four other buildings in course of orcction, and when finished will give the town a far more imposing appearance.
Tribune, 20 February 1879
CYGNET.-Next Sunday’s anniversary services in the Methodist Church will be celebrated as “Temple Day.” It will mark the church’s decision to demolish the present wooden building and rebuild a new concrete structure. The Rev. I. Maggs will preach at 3 p.m., and a choral programme will be given by the New Town Methodist Choir. At 7 p.m. the Rev. D. Fox, of Franklin, will be supported by Miss Lois Frampton, soloist, and the Sunday School Choir. At 5 p.m. a district young people’s tea will be held, and followed by community singing.
The Mercury, 25 September 1950