Opened 6 June 1880. In Wellington Street, behind the large Reed Memorial Baptist Church. Originally, a skittle alley occupied the site and this was converted by Henry Reed into a Mission Church with Sunday School. After a couple of years, this was replaced by the current brick structure, which later became the Sunday School building.
It is well known that Launceston is indebted to the late Mr Henry Reed, assisted by his energetic wife, for the excellent design of imparting religious instruction to the poorer classes in the west end of the town, within easy reach of their homes, and in the most attractive form — that is, without any charge whatever. – Daily Telegraph, 1 July 1885
Can be seen in the background of this photo.
Currently (2015) it is operating as Korean Full Gospel Church.
A story in the Examiner, 1935 gives the history of the building:
The hotel which he bought from Mr. Parr (it is still inhabited) was a dilapidated concern with several old stables and coach-houses, and a long shed, which had been used as a skittle alley. Mr. Reed thought it might be made to answer his purpose, as it was situated in the very right position for the work he contemplated (in probably the [?] of the city at the time). It was not until nearly a year after that he saw his way to go forward in the matter, and then he attached the mission to the Wesleyan Church.
He did not build fresh promises at first, but had the long shed cleared out, painted, gas laid on and seats put in. The church work began in July, 1876. It went on for nearly a year, though there was a lack of harmony between the mission and the church to which it was united. Finally they separated.
A Sunday school was commenced in 1877. The work prospered, and it was desirable that the new and more permanent building should stand on the very ground occupied by the skittle alley. In order to do this a temporary place had to be prepared in which to hold the services while the building was being erected, and this was accomplished by clearing out and fitting up some of the old stables on the other side of the yard, where the congregation worshipped for more than 12 months. On June 6, 1880, the new building (the present Sunday school) was opened for service. It was capable of holding three hundred people.
1879, under construction:
MR HENRY REED’S MISSION CHURCH, LAUNCESTON.
Upwards of three years ago, Mr. Henry Reed, of Mount Pleasant, having become the purchaser of extensive premises in Wellington-street, formerly known as Parr’s Hotel, had a portion arranged as a Mission Church, for the benefit, especially, of the poor persons with whom the locality abounds. On Sunday evenings and on certain week nights, religious services were conducted by Mr. Reed (who had for many years officiated as a lay preacher amongst the Wesleyans), and by evangelists visiting from the neighbouring colonies. Great interest was shown in the movement, not only by members of the Wesleyan body, who rendered valuable help, but also by some of the poorer working classes, who were attracted by the earnestness and simplicity by which the mission work was characterised. Operations were soon extended, and Sunday school instruction was commenced. The children who had theretofore been taught at the Brisbane-street undenominational Sunday school (under the Superintendence of Mr. Whittaker, now of Latrobe, and afterwards of Mr. G. R. Bell were transferred to the Mission school. Success marked this extended effort, and at this time a large school exists, conducted by the Rev. J. B. Portrey, of New South Wales, who is in Tasmania for tho benefit of his health. On the 3rd September last a Band of Hope was formed, the roll of membership being headed by the names of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Reed. Including children and adults there are nearly two hundred names on the roll. As the increased congregation necessitated further accommodation, a larger temporary church has lately been fitted up on another part of the promises, but a now building is being constructed by Messrs. Gunn, according to plans furnished by Mr. Reed’s architect, Mr. Tyson, the cost of which, estimated at £1,600, will be de- frayed by Mr. Reed. The structure is of brick, with stone facings ; the ground floor to be used for school and church, and the upper floor to be appropriated for some half-a-dozen class rooms. I have inspected plans by Mr. Tyson of a now church, intended eventually to be built on the front or eastern portion of the property, bounded by Wellington street; the promises now in course of erection will then be used for the Sunday school.
The Mercury, 5 December 1879
1880, about to be opened:
CHRISTIAN MISSION CHURCH.
The new Christian Mission Church, in Wellington-street, which has been erected by Mr Henry Reed, of Mount Pleasant, has now been finished by the contractors and those engaged in embellishing it. We have previously given a short notice of the work, but might now mention that the building, which is of the Gothic order, was designed by Mr Frank Tyson, architect. It is a pretty yet plain and substantial structure, and well adapted for its object. The main hall, which is 58ft by 26ft, is fitted up with varnished blackwood, the seats being of blackwood and cedar, and have been made upon an improved style by Mr Hills. A raised platform is erected at the top end of the hall, 7ft 6 in., by 19ft 6 in., a plain railing and reading desk occupying a suitable position in front. This is tastefully finished off, and under the platform is a baptistery, which is approached by three doors and steps leading down, water being laid on, with due provision for its escape. A pleasing feature in the building is noticeable in regard to the manner in which the rooms have been ventilated, the windows, too, being hung on the sliding principle. Adjoining the main hall is a vestry and infants’ class room-26ft by 15ft-which is appropriately fitted up. A staircase of three fights, made of Kauri pine and blackwood varnished, leads to six well arranged and ventilated rooms, which are chiefly intended for Sunday school classes. Venetian shutters are fitted to the windows at the north side of the building, which is an admirable idea to prevent heat and closeness. Gas is laid on throughout the building. There are three entrances, the main one having a plain portico. Viewed from the front, the edifice is tastefully finished, the brickwork being relieved with cement dressings, the whole being upon a bluestone foundation. The brick and stonework and plastering, contracted for by Messrs. J. and T. Gunn, has given every satisfaction, while the fittings and petty work have been done by men specially employed by Mr Reed. The work has been carried on under the superintendence of Mr Tyson. Tomorrow the church will be formally opened by a special evangelistic service, Pastor H. Reed and Mr J. L. Smith conducting the morning, and Pastor J. Shallberg the evening services.
Launceston Examiner, 5 June 1880