In August 1888 11 people met in a small, unlined hall near the Eastern end of Stewart Street in Formby (as Devonport was then named) and committed themselves to support a Sunday morning Baptist service. The services were held in that same hall. Hard seats and a billiard table were the only furnishings but the fellowship was warm and the congregation grew. In 1898 another hall was purchased and in 1904 a beautiful brick building was erected next door.
The Devonport Gallery
The Baptist Church built their tabernacle here in 1904 at a cost of £1400. It replaced the oldest of two halls built by Thomas Cowle in the 1800’s. The builder and designer were Stephen Priest Senior and Stephen Priest Junior. The community applauded both for their fine Gothic Design and workmanship. The Baptist Church moved to William Street and the Devonport Library moved across the road and was located here from 1969-1983. In that year, with community consent, it was converted to the Devonport Gallery and Arts Centre.