The beginning of Congregationalism in Launceston dates back to the advent of Rev. Charles Price in 1830. Evidence shows that Mr. Price preached in the old courthouse in Cameron-street in September, 1832, but it was not until four years later that a fellowship was formed in Tamar-street. In 1839 Rev. John West arrived in Tasmania and quickly gathered a congregation which first met for worship in the infant schoolroom in Frederick-street. In 1840 a temporary wooden structure was erected and it was therein June, 1840, that the church was formally constituted. Later the fellowship decided to erect a more permanent home. This chapel was known as St. John’s Square Chapel, but is now known as Milton Hall and was opened for public worship on August 12, 1842. On October 20, 1885, the present church building was erected.
Examiner, 20 October 1940
Internal photos: September 2018.