Cnr Goderich & Smith Streets, Longford. Google Maps.
Cemetery is a block over to to the north west.
EVANDALE CATHOLIC CHURCH.-On Sunday last one of those pleasing and joyful events which gladdens the heart of the Christian took place in that charming and delightfully-situated township, Evandale. For some time past the Catholics of the district, aided by their zealous pastor, have lad in contemplation the erection of a church, where they might meet to worship God, and train up their little ones in the faith of their fathers. The good work is now happily completed. The church was solemnly opened on Sunday last by the Rev. M. O’Callaghan, whose lucid and brilliant discourse was listened to with breathless attention by a numerous audience, many of whom came from Launceston, thus testifying at once their zeal for God’s house, and their respect and reverence for their priest and spiritual director. Too much praise cannot be given to the Rev. Father for his untiring exertions in collecting funds for the erection of this church, so much needed in this locality; and it is to be hoped that the Catholics of Evandale and surrounding district will evince, by their zeal and attendance at mass, how much they appreciate the disinterested motives of the pastor, who is prompted solely by religion and the salvation of souls.
Launceston Examiner, 1 November 1859
St Mary’s Catholic Church
Renovated in 1976, when the doorway was moved from the side of the porch to the front. Mass had been held here regularly since the church was built.
Built as a multi-denominational mission hall in 1882.
Opened as Wesleyan church in 1885.
EVANDALE MISSION HALL.-A correspondent at Evandale, writing on Thurs day, says;– “The Mission Hall in this place has been erected to the order of Mrs. Henry Reed, at a cost of upwards of £400. The building will seat between 100 to 200, and is an ornament to the township. Pastor Hiddlestone con ducted the opening service on Sunday last, when, despite the inclemency of the weather, about 120 or so attended. Pastor Williamson conducted the evening service to an attentive audience. Special services have been held by Pastor Williamson and Hiddlestone each evening during the week with some measure of encouragement. The Mission Band came out from Launceston on two evenings, and by their playing through the town ship, enlivened the people, and quite a large number came to the services.
Launceston Examiner, 27 October 1883
The Mission-hall was opened on Sunday week by Messrs. Hiddlestone and J. L. Smith, and, notwithstanding the inclemency of tho weather, a good number were present. Mr. Smith said that the hall had been built by Mrs. Reed for evangelistic purposes, and invited Christians of all denominations to help. Pastor Williamson, of Perth, preached in the evening to a large congregation, and services were held each evening during the week by Pastor Hiddlestone, Williamson, Bond (of Deloraine), Smith, and other gentlemen. On two occasions the services of a brass band were brought into requisition,, much to tho delight of tho young people? Tho meetings were very orderly.
The Mercury 31 October 1883