Lower Charles St, Launceston. Google Maps.
Opened 1833, as a single storey brick building. When the congregation moved to a newer, larger kirk in Paterson St, the building was sold and has seen various uses including as stores, a printery and offices. It was during this later period that it gained the second storey and new front part.
From their website: Since 1884, Door of Hope Christian Church has been meeting in different locations across Launceston allowing people to join together in community and worship our great God. And since 2003, we’ve been inhabiting the former Patons and Baldwins (later Coats Patons) factory, again another significant institution in the life of our city.
Located at 22 Glen Dhu St. Currently home to the Launceston Bridge Club.
From the leaflet Launceston Churches of the 20th Century produced by the Launceston Historical Society, the church opened 25 October 1958 for use by the congregation that previously met in St Stephen’s in Wilson. It closed 1985, and at the time the leaflet was produced (1996) was being used by the Assembly Of God.
Photo as a cemetery
Charles St gate
Location (as Saint Ockerby Grounds)
Record of location of the graves (Not very useful)
Epitaphs and tombstone inscriptions removed from Charles Street cemetery (Hand written transcriptions)
Cemetery register (list of names, organised by first letter of surname and then date)
Treasurer’s register (Organised by date, gives details of payments made)
Opened 3 July 1885 as a Christian Mission Church, to replace the smaller building that is now behind. Later became a Baptist Church. Now (2015) operating as a Gateway Baptist Church, with the Korean Full Gospel Church behind.
Photo: late 19th century
Wellington St, showing church in context
THE OPENING OF THE TEMPLE.
To-day will see the consummation of the work begun by the late Mr Henry Reed for providing a suitable place of worship for the congregation he drew together during the later years of his life. The building is worthy of its object, and as one of the principal edifices of its kind, will attract praise from all who visit it, whether townspeople or visitors, both for its style of architecture, and the chars iter . of the workmanship evidenced in all its details. Designed by Mr F. Tyson, its foundation stone was laid nearly two years ago, on July 19, 1883, by Mr J. L. Smith, of Cambock, in the presence of a large number of members of the Mission Church. To-night it will be open to the public for the first time, after a tea meeting, held in the adjoining Pavilion shortly after 5 o’clock, its inauguration as a place of divine worship being celebrated by a number of addresses from Pastor Hiddlestone and the leading members associated with him.
Daily Telegrah, 3 July 1885
66A Elizabeth Street. Opened 1939. Sold 2014
Bryan St, Invermay. Google Maps.
Opened 21 February 1892.
Later a Uniting Church following the amalgamtion of churches to create the Uniting Church of Australia. Sold about 2000 and became Palpung Kagyu Thigsum Chokyi Ghatsal Tibetan Buddhist Institute.
First six photos are from 2012. Later photos, without fence, from 2005.
Website & Facebook page
Opened 1850, to replace the Scottish National Church in lower Charles St.
THE FOUNDATION STONE of the Launceston “St. Andrew’s” has been laid : the work is in rapid progress, and at no remote day will be opened for the celebration of divine service. The presbyterians of this town were too long content with a place of worship inferior in every respect to that of any other denomination. But they awakened from their lethargy, and now aspire to occupy a public building which will be the most conspicuous ornament in the north. The munificence of some of the subscribers merits praise : they have come foward in a spirit of liberality which reflects honor on the profession they make. But the sum to be expended far exceeds the amount guaranteed; and although the building committee have faith in the result, we should be gratified to see them relieved from a responsibility too onerous for individuals to discharge. Let every presbyterian, how ever humble, put the question to himself: what more can I afford for the cost of this fabric ? and especially let the prosperous in that communion, both in Launceston and elsewhere; consider seriously what they can spare for the work. The building in which service is now conducted, with the land attached, would sell for a considerable sum, and should its alienation be necessary, we trust the lieutenant-governor will not refuse his assent. We hope this will be conceded, and that the presbyterians will be left at liberty to dispose of their abandoned place worship, and to apply the proceeds in liquidation of the debt, which after all their exertions must be incurred for the new and beautiful edifice.
Launceston Examiner, 27 October 1849