1841 – 1902
As far back as 1817 Father Flynn called at the settlement, on his voyage from England to Sydney, and administered the sacrament, and four years later Father Connolly arrived and commenced his work. He celebrated mass at Mr. Curr’s store in Argyle-street, and there the congregation consisted of nine persons. Services were subsequently held in the old building in Elizabeth-street, known to us in later years as “Rats’ Castle.” Father Connolly having obtained a grant of 14 acres of land at the angle of Harrington and Brisbane streets, called it Mount Carmel, and in February, 1822, a small wooden church was commenced. It was finished in the following year, and dedicated to God, under the invocation of St. Virgilius.
The Mercury, 31 December 1904
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL
THE Resident Roman Catholic Clergyman in Van Diemen’s Land, in Furtherance of the Object with which he is intrusted, under the Authority of His Majesty’s Government, being desirous to put in Progress the Building of a suitable Place of Worship for the Roman Catholics, with the Sanction of His Honor the Lieutenant Governor, respectfully calls upon such of the Inhabitants as are disposed to give their Aid to this desirable Object, as connected with the good Order of a large Portion of the Persons already in Van Diemen’s Land, and of others probably yet to arrive ; and he respectfully requests to add, that a Subscription List is open at the under-mentioned Places :
At the Office of Edward Lord, Esq. ; of Messrs. Kemp and Co. ; of Edward Curr, Esq. ; at the House of P. A. Mulgrave, Esq. and at the Gazette Office, Hobart Town.
At the House of T. A, Lascelles, Esq. New Norfolk ; James Gordon, Esq. Pitt Water; and G. W. Gunning, Esq. Coal River.
At Port Dalrymple:-Thomas Archer, Esq. J. P.; Mr. Commissary Roberts ; T, C, Simpson, Esq. ; and James Cox, Esq. J. P.
Where the Contributions of all Persons will be thankfully received.
It is considered scarcely necessary to state, that the Catholic Community, for whose particular Accommodation and Good this Undertaking is about to be commenced, will be expected to give their Aid in every Shape in which it can be useful, and suitable to their Condition.
Hobart Town Gazette, 13 April 1822
I’m not sure on actual location on the chapel, but it appears to have been close to the corner of Harrington & Brisbane Sts. In 1831, an advertiser gives his location as “situated in Brisbane-street, at the corner of Harrington street, (opposite the Roman Chatholic Chapel). In 1833, a cottage is advertised for sale at the “premises in Brisbane street facing the Catholic Chapel”. In 1834, another advertiser gives his location as “opposite the Catholic Chapel, Harrington Street”.
It is not generally known that the body of Colonel Collins, the first Lieutenant Governor of this colony, lies interred in the corner of the churchyard next the town. About a year after his death a small wooden church was erected over the grave, and the altar, such as it was, was built directly over it. This building however did not remain long, for being got up in a hurry for the reception of Governor Macquarie to attend divine service in during his visit here, the stays were not properly fixed, and in a sudden gale of wind it was blown over.
Hobart Town Courier, 21 March 1829
On the St David’s cathedral website, there is an artist’s impression of that building, placed in context (use the slider below the image).
And this Monument long projected
was Erected to his memory in 1838,
By Direction of His Excellency
Sir John Franklin R.C.H.K.R
Site of the first Church erected in 1810 in
Van Dieman’s Land.
Built over the grace of
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR COLLINS
whose body resided beneath the altar.
Cnr Macquarie & Murray Streets, Hobart. (Murrary St entrance shown above.) Opened 1874, replacing an older building of the same name.
Building started 1868. (Laying of foundation stone)
Consecrated & opened 1874.
Chancel, Sanctuary & Nixon Chapel completed 1891-4 (Photo of construction)
Bell tower completed 1936 (Photo of construction)
Photo with old & new St Davids
Photo 1878, Macquarie St facade. The bell tower has since added at the front left, and the main building extended to the right.
Engraving, 1886, from the corner of Murray& Macquarie Sts. The vacant corner is now occupied by the bell tower.
Photo, 1928. This seems to be a flipped image, compare to 2nd & 4th images on next link
Various photo/postcards (Fifth image is an nice view of entrance & tower from Murray Street
Photo from north with what appears to be the tower of the older church behind.
Foundation stone laid 1817
Consecrated 1823 (although in use before then)
Steeple replaced 1835
Became St David’s Cathedral 1842
Demolished 1874 after completion of new (current) building
GOVERNMENT AND GENERAL ORDERS.
GOVERNMENT HOUSE, HOBART TOWN,
Tuesday, February 18, 1817.
THE Civil and Military Officers are requested to attend at Government House To-morrow Morning at Half-past Eleven o’clock A.M. to accompany the Reverend ROBERT KNOPWOOD to the Ground prepared to lay the Foundation Stone of St. David’s Church. In Consequence of which, the same will be observed as a Holiday throughout the Settlement; and the Acting Assistant Commissary General will cause to be issued to each of the Non-commissioned Officers and Private Soldiers, Superintendents, Overseers, Constables, and other Persons in the actual Employ of Government, Half-a-Pint of Spirits.
By Command of His Honor,
The Lieutenant Governor,
J.B. BOOTHMAN, Clerk.
Hobart Town Gazette, 22 February 1817
It was built in front of the old chapel in 1846. It was much larger than the first, measuring 46 by 27 feet, and its furnishings were all of cedar. A large gallery was erected across the back of the building in the following year. — The Mercury, 7 January 1940.
This too was replaced in 1880, by a larger church in the main street
From information panel on site:
This is where Campbell Town’s first Methodist chapel was built in 1839. It was only 130′ by 17′ and was completed debt free thanks to generous donations from members of the local community. Captain and Mrs Horton of the property Somercotes, where the first organised Methodist services in the area had been conducted, were amongst those who gave most.
By 1841 the congregation had grown so large that extra seating was added and finally in 1846 the building you see [in the photos] was constructed. It stands directly in front of the old chapel. … It too had to be adapted to cope with an ever increasing congregation–in case a large gallery was built. In 1864 during the jubilee of the Australian Wesleyan Methodist church subscriptions were raised again in part to build a bigger chapel. [Brickhill Church, opened 1880] At that time the first chapel was converted in the residence of the chapel keeper and this building modified to become a Sunday School.
CAMPBELL TOWN.-On Wednesday next, the Rev. Mr. Boyce, will open the Wesleyan Chapel, Campbell Town, newly erected.
Launceston Examiner, 14 November 1846
The Rev. Mr. Bovce, the superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in the Pacific, arrived from Sydney on Wednesday, and preached morning and evening yesterday in the Patterson-street chapel. In the afternoon he addressed the children of the Sunday Schools. The reverend gentleman will preach at Campbell Town on the occasion of opening the new chapel lately erected there, on Wednesday next.
Launceston Advertiser, 16 November 1846
BUILDING FOR MARRIAGES.-The Wesleyan Chapel, King-street, Campbell Town, is duly registered and Gazetted according to law, as a building for solemnizing marriages.
Launceston Examiner, 27 January 1847
Opened 29 September 1857. From panel on site:
Bishop Wilson was responsible for the construction of this bluestone church and his coat of arms and initials, WW, can be found on the south-eastern wall. Wilson has tried and failed to obtain land for the Church in the 1840s, but succeeded in 1857 and it was consecrated in September of that year.
Not all the headstones are below. It is mostly the older stones on the north side, and front (furthest from entrance). For now, I have only listed name & year died, because transcribing headstones is a slow process and I’d rather use that time to post more church photos. Photos of all the headstones are available through the Northern Midlands Council Cemeteries & Burials Database.
CONSECRATION OF THE NEW BURIAL GROUND AT LYMINGTON.
(From a Correspondent.)
On Wednesday last, the 14th instant, many persons of this and adjoining localities were attracted to the above township, to witness the ceremony of consecration of the new burial ground presented to the parish by James Cox, Esquire, of Clarendon, who, besides, has built and endowed the chapel and school to which the above burial-ground is attached.
The introductory service was commenced in the chapel by the Chaplain (the Rev. W. Brickwood), followed by the Very Rev. Archdeacon Reibey, assisted by Miss Cox at the harmonium, and a respectable choral company. The usual requisition was then presented and read by the Arch deacon, signed by the surrounding residents; whereupon the Bishop rose .and delivered a most impressive address, re minding his hearers that it was not merely a formal ceremony, but that it also should tend to imply a recognition by its visitors of their Christian obligations: that in the words of St. Paul, the bodies of each one were also a temple of the Holy Ghost dedicated to the service of God, and impressing the importance of the observance in fulfilling their duty both to God, their fellow beings, and the rising generation; and also their awful responsibility in neglecting the same.
The congregation then proceeded to the cemetery, where prayer was again offered. ‘The requisition was again read and signed by the Bishop, confirming the dedication of the burial ground. Part of the 39th Psalm was sung by the congregation and children, who had numerously assembled for the occasion; after which the Bishop pronounced the benediction, and the assembled friends of early[?] Christian education retired highly delighted.
Launceston Examiner, 20 November 1860
Words to come.