St Peter’s Hall, Hobart

Collins Street, between Argyle and Campbell Streets, Hobart
c1856 -1904

Constructed as a temperance hall and school house, and occasional services. It appears on Jarmnan’s 1858 map of Hobart as a Catholic church/chapel

RC

The land appears Sprent’s survey map from the 1840s as reserved for “Reserved for the benefit of the Roman Catholic Community to be used as Temperance Hall and a Sunday School & occasionally for a place of Worship. Whenever the building ceases to be used for the above purpose the land to revert to the Crown”.

RC1
Continue reading

(former) Trinity Church/Penitentiary Chapel, Hobart

Dscn7349

Cnr Brisbane & Campbell Sts, Hobart. Google Maps.
Opened 1833 on a site adjoining the prisoner barracks, later city gaol. It was used as a chapel for the prisoners and to cater for the free population that had grown too large for St David’s. Anglican services but never consecrated, due to its association with the prisoners. For more information, visits one of the links below.

(Unofficial) Web site
Companion to Tasmanian History

National Trust page for visiting details.
Lithograph, 1834
Proposed entrance.

Dscn7348
Continue reading

St Joseph’s Catholic Church, Hobart

Img_5787

163 Macquarie St,Hobart. Google Maps.
Opened 1841, as the first permanent Catholic church in Hobart, and acted as the cathedral before St Mary’s was completed.

Background to development of Catholic churches in Hobart.

Drawing, 1843
Lithograph, 1844
Two postcards
Interior, stereograph, c.1865

Img_5785
Continue reading

St John’s Anglican Church & cemetery (site), St Johns Park, New Town

StJohns2

St Johns Ave, New Town. Google Maps. The church is flanked by the buildings of the King/Queen’s Orphan school which were opened two years earlier.
Foundation stone laid 1834.
Opened 1835, to provide a second Anglican church for the residents of Hobart Town and surrounds.
Consecrated 1838.

Some background (and better photos)
Organ (and some nice internal photos)
Friends of the Orphan Schools: background, interesting photos (inc. inside of tower) and associated buildings.
Memorial plaques/stones

Other images:
Plans (1 or 2) and cross-section
Drawing, 1831
Paiting, 1840s
Interior, stereograph c. 1865
Interior
More

Queens Asylum, New Town
St Johns Avenue leading up to church, with  orphan school on either side. (c. 1880, from my collection).
Continue reading