Wesleyan/Methodist Church, Deloraine

Opened 1856

Deloraine. — A subscription is on foot in the township towards erecting a Wesleyan Chapel, for which we understood Mr. Bonney has in the handsomest manner offered to give a piece of ground. At present Divine Service is to be performed in Mr. Courtenay’s house, once a month, viz, on the Sunday when the Chaplain of Deloraine pays his accustomed visit to Port Sorell. On Sunday week last the Rev. Mr. Waterhouse, of Westbury preached at Deloraine to a numerous congregation, and the Wesleyans in that district are likely to assume an important position; at all events the erection of a Chapel there will be the means of gathering in rather a large body of persons who from some cause or other object to frequent the Church.
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 July 1848

Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856

(From a Correspondent.)
On Sunday last, notwithstanding the unpropitious state of the weather, a good congregation assembled in this neat and pretty chapel to listen to two admirable discourses delivered by Rev. J. A. Manton, the President of the Wesleyan Conference and notwithstanding that very many friends of the cause were prevented attending, through the inclemency of tie weather, tile sum of £29 0s. 2d. was collected.

Launceston Examiner, 11 December 1856

At the Wesleyan Church, Deloraine, the Rev. E. T. Cox will preach two sermons on the occasion of the introduction of the new organ, on Sunday.
Daily Telegraph, 15 September 1883

Deloraine Wesleyan Church.– The Wesleyan Church, which, has been closed a short time for alterations and repairs, was reopened on Sunday. The Rev. W. Wykes delivered three excellent discourses to large congregations. The church which for ordinary occasions is quite large enough, was in the evening crowded. The subject in the morning was “The present political situation;” afternoon, “Flower service;” evening, “Law and Gospel.” Collections were taken after each service in aid of the church renovation fund.
Tasmanian, 2 May 1885

Methodist Church, Cygnet (1)

Open 1879. Replaced by a newer building in 1952.

The Mercury, 19 June 1875
The Mercury, 19 June 1875

Mr. THOMASON, bush missionary, gave an account of his work at the Huon subsequent to the period embraced in the report. On the 10th January last he entered upon his work, and from that time to the 7th of this month—a period of a little over four months—he had preached 102 times in Franklin, Port Cygnet, Irish Town, Castle Forbes Bay, Wattle Grove, Gardiner’s Bay, Surge’s Bay, Port Esperance, Hastings, Recherche, Southport, and other places. Although the distances had been long, he had every reason to be thankful with the success of his labours. He had met with the greatest kindness and hospitality ; and he had had the happiness of seeing no less than 34 souls converted to the truth. (Hear, hear.) Some present perhaps asked what conversion meant and he might answer, what made men praying men. All the 34 persons he alluded to had, since their conversion, engaged in public prayer, and some of the young men had conducted prayer meetings and Sunday-schools. At tho Huon there were 102 members in connection with the Wesleyan Church. With regard to finances, he might mention that the people of Port Cygnet, Irish Town, Gardiner’s Bay, and Wattle Grove had guaranteed to provide a sum of £42 a-year towards the bush mission in the district. (Hear, hear.) There were places far better than those which did not come out in that way. He was not able to state what the other side of tho Huon—Franklin, Castle Forbes Bay, etc.—would do, though he hoped to/be able to do so before the mission meetings closed ; but he believed the Huon district would be self-supporting, so far as the bush mission was concerned. (Applause.) As regards the attendance, the average at Franklin was 90, and at Port Cygnet, the last two or three times, there was not sufficient room for the people. The success of the work was not, however, due to him, but to men who had been labouring there for years for the salvation of souls. They had been ploughing, and sowing, and harrowing, and he had come in to help them to reap a little.
The Mercury, 16 May 1876
Continue reading

(site of) Wesleyan Chapel, Longford


107 Wellington St, Longford. Google maps.

Opened 1837
Closed & demolished with opening of new church in High St, 1880
Sunday School constructed on site c.1902
Now privately owned.

The Longford Methodist Church, or, as it was then known, the Wesleyan Methodist Society, was founded in 1834 at a meeting convened by Rev. J. A. Manton, of Launceston, and held in a barn on a farm adjoining Northbury. The first enrolled was Mr. William Mason, grandfather of the present families of that name associated with the church. The next was Mrs. George Gould, and the last surviving member of that little band was Mrs. J. Bonner, of Scottsdale, who died in 1923 at the age of 92 years.

Progress was rapid, and Mr. Man ton later wrote: “At the town of Longford, in the district of Norfolk Plains, our prospects are very encouraging. We are building there a good, substantial chapel.” This chapel was opened in 1837, free of debt. According to Mr. Manton, “The congregation was large and respect able and the collection very good amounting to £350.” At the end of 1848 Longford was created a circuit separate from Launceston.

Two years previously the first Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School had been commenced at Longford, but it was not until after the union of the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Churches that the present Sunday School was erected. This building stands on the site of the first Wesleyan Chapel, which after 40 years began to show signs of decay and was replaced by a new church building in 1880.
The Examiner, 9 June 1934
Continue reading

Wesleyan/Trinity Uniting Church, Margaret St, Launceston (3)


Originally built in 1889 as a Sunday School for the adjoining Wesleyan Chapel.
In 1917, converted to a church. and the older building became the Sunday school.
Opened 1918.

Cnr Balfour & Margaret Sts. Margaret St, Launceston. Google Maps.
Built as Sunday School 3 January 1889, 23 June 1889
Converted 27 January 1918
Organ & better photos.

Continue reading