Midland Hwy, Bagdad. Google maps.
Tamar St, Launceston. Goole Maps.
Opened 1837. Adjoining hall opened 1896. Church demolished 1920.
From “The Days Of Our Youth, Early Launceston: the early churches”:
The Congregationalists were represented in the first instance by the Rev. Charles Price, who arrived at Launceston in September, 1832, and on the 23rd of that month preached for the first time in the Court House, which was then in Cameron-street, near where the post office now stands. After staying four months, Mr. Price went to Sydney, re turning in 1836. He obtained a grant of 3/4-acre of land in Tamar-street, and in September of the following year the Tamar-street Church was erected at a cost of about £1300. In 1842 a second Congregationalist Church (the present “Milton Hall”) was opened by the Rev. John West (Tasmania’s historian), who arrived in the colony in 1838, having been sent by the Colonial Missionary Society. Services in the meantime were held in the infant school-room in Frederick-street. Mr. Price, in addition to labouring gratuitously for 14 years, built in 1848, at his own expense, the little Wycliffe chapel in Vincent-street, off St. John-street, for the greater convenience of some aged members of his congregation. In 1858 he also induced his Tamar-street adherents to erect a chapel at Inveresk.
Examiner, 17 March 1906
A small wooden building “then considered an old one, and erected in another part of the town [that] was purchased and removed on wheels to the allotment in Frederick-street, where it was converted into a chapel”.
1842 Replaced by St John’s Square Chapel
From the 1886 Assessement Roll for Launceston. The land marked replaces 3 occupied houses in the 1885 roll, which makes it likely to be the site of a wooden tenement proximal to the Primitive Methodist Chapel demolished in the previous few months. That site would be either next door or one building down from the Primitive Methodist Chapel (depending on the location of its associated house). Thus, it would be approximately here: