Collins Street, between Argyle and Campbell Streets, Hobart
Constructed as a temperance hall and school house, and occasional services. It appears on Jarmnan’s 1858 map of Hobart as a Catholic church/chapel
The land appears Sprent’s survey map from the 1840s as reserved for “Reserved for the benefit of the Roman Catholic Community to be used as Temperance Hall and a Sunday School & occasionally for a place of Worship. Whenever the building ceases to be used for the above purpose the land to revert to the Crown”.
George Street, Cygnet. Google maps. The cemetery is next door.
George St, Cygnet, adjoining the church. Google maps.
Individual photos available at Gravesites of Tasmania.
Midland Hwy, Bagdad. Google maps.
5 Brownell St, Geeveston. Google maps.
The Church of Christ at Geeveston was opened on 17 June 1906. The new chapel was described as a “neat wooden structure, splendidly situated, and seated to accommodate about 200 people”.
By the 1950s the church numbers were dwindling.
In 1978 it amalgamated with the local Congregational Church to become the Geeveston Community Church (the local Congregationsl Church had decided not to be part of the Uniting Church of Australia).
Tasmanian Archives & Heritage Office
Zeehan & Dundas Herald, 18 November 1903
BISHOP MERCER ON TOUR.
Bishop Mercer arrived by last evening’s train, and delivered a lecture at the Metropole Theatre on “Competition.” This evening he administered confirmation to a number of children at St. Martin’s Church. To-morrow he will visit Gormanston to dedicate St. Cuthbert’s Church, and in the evening will give a lecture in Gaffney’s Hall. On Saturday his Lordship will hold a reception at Queenstown, returning to Gormanston on Sunday for the purpose of holding a confirmation service; leaving again for Zeehan on Monday. During his visit here the Bishop is the guest of Mr. R. Sticht.
Examiner, 20 November 1903
Opened 1840s. Replaced by current St Marks in 1859.
On Thursday the Bishop left for Deloraine, accompanied as before by the Rural Dean, C. Meredith, Esq., J. P., and other inhabitants of Port Sorell. His Lordship had a narrow escape of meeting the bushrangers, as the man sent as a guide was stopped by two armed men, who stripped and otherwise ill treated him. On Friday the Bishop assisted by the Rural Dean, the Rev. John Bishton &c, laid the foundation of the Church and School house at Deloraine. The contractor has agreed to complete this building within three months.
The Courier, 8 May 1845
Deloraine. — A subscription is on foot in the township towards erecting a Wesleyan Chapel, for which we understood Mr. Bonney has in the handsomest manner offered to give a piece of ground. At present Divine Service is to be performed in Mr. Courtenay’s house, once a month, viz, on the Sunday when the Chaplain of Deloraine pays his accustomed visit to Port Sorell. On Sunday week last the Rev. Mr. Waterhouse, of Westbury preached at Deloraine to a numerous congregation, and the Wesleyans in that district are likely to assume an important position; at all events the erection of a Chapel there will be the means of gathering in rather a large body of persons who from some cause or other object to frequent the Church.
Cornwall Chronicle, 5 July 1848
Launceston Examiner, 2 December 1856
OPENING OF THE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL.
(From a Correspondent.)
On Sunday last, notwithstanding the unpropitious state of the weather, a good congregation assembled in this neat and pretty chapel to listen to two admirable discourses delivered by Rev. J. A. Manton, the President of the Wesleyan Conference and notwithstanding that very many friends of the cause were prevented attending, through the inclemency of tie weather, tile sum of £29 0s. 2d. was collected.
Launceston Examiner, 11 December 1856
At the Wesleyan Church, Deloraine, the Rev. E. T. Cox will preach two sermons on the occasion of the introduction of the new organ, on Sunday.
Daily Telegraph, 15 September 1883
Deloraine Wesleyan Church.– The Wesleyan Church, which, has been closed a short time for alterations and repairs, was reopened on Sunday. The Rev. W. Wykes delivered three excellent discourses to large congregations. The church which for ordinary occasions is quite large enough, was in the evening crowded. The subject in the morning was “The present political situation;” afternoon, “Flower service;” evening, “Law and Gospel.” Collections were taken after each service in aid of the church renovation fund.
Tasmanian, 2 May 1885
18 West Barrack Street, Deloraine. Google maps.
Maybe constructed to replace the older St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church?