Prime Minister’s Suite, Old Parliament House, Canberra

Main Post: Old Parliament House
The Prime Minister’s suite of rooms is situated in the northeast corner of Old Parliament House, an area that was occupied by the Prime Minister and his staff throughout the life span of the building.
. . .
The suite as it exists today was occupied by three Prime Ministers: Gough Whitlam (occupied it between 1972 to 1975), Malcolm Fraser (occupied it between 1975 to 1983) and Bob Hawke (occupied it between 1983 – 1988), and included offices (for the Prime Minister and his staff), an anteroom for press conferences (also used as a waiting room) and bathrooms.
. . .
Positions that worked in this suite included the principal private secretary, private secretaries, stenographers, senior advisors, advisors, ministerial officers, telephonists and secretarial staff. By the end of the 1980s more than 30 people, with others coming and going at busy times, filled every available corner of this maze of offices.

Museum of Australia Democracy

Photos are presented are in the order they were taken.

Read morePrime Minister’s Suite, Old Parliament House, Canberra

Senate Opposition Party Room, Old Parliament House, Canberra

Main post: Old Parliament House, Canberra

The Senate Opposition Party Room was known as the Senate Club Room from the opening of Provisional Parliament House in 1927 to 1937. It was a place for Senators from all political parties to congregate in a relaxed atmosphere to converse, write letters, read, or to enjoy film nights. Use of the Senate Club Room was later restricted to opposition Senators, who had lost the use of their former party room after the 1929 election, since which time it has been known as the Senate Opposition Party Room.

The room featured comfortable club style lounges and easy chairs, tables, mail boxes, large glass-fronted bookcases and (a later addition) sound proof telephone boxes for Senators without their own office space.
Museum of Australia Democracy

Read moreSenate Opposition Party Room, Old Parliament House, Canberra

Old Parliament House, Canberra

The original parliament house in Canberra was built in the 1920s (opened 1927) and was intended to be a temporary place for parliament to meet. Its replacement was completed in 1988, and is on the hill above. This older building now houses the Museum of Australian Democracy.

Img_8994
Main entrance.

Img_8990

Img_8995

Img_8996
Side entrance (along front facade).

Senate Chamber

House of Representatives Chamber

Press Gallery

Senate Opposition Party Room

Prime Minister's Suite

Prime Minister's Office